Skip to main content

Gingerbread Houses

OK, I know I really should have shared this before Christmas but no sooner had I finished them than the Day was upon me and I had some kind of very odd 'flu' which left me with a fever on and off for days... in fact I fell asleep on the couch on Christmas morning and the lovely husband only woke me at 1pm.....with a whole Christmas "lunch" still to cook!  Guess I must have needed it though.

And then there was work.  Yes indeed!  After the jolly holiday we set to work on my sewing room..... which never quite got completed as we went away for a few days over Old and New (quaint Dutch way of saying New Year's - I quite like it!) ... et cetera, et cetera.  But it is certain to be finished in the very near future and then I can reveal......

NOW, back to Gingerbread Houses.

Nearly 2 years ago I made a choice to give up sugar (amongst other things).  It is the best thing I ever did but it left me with a small problem.  I LOVE making and decorating kids cakes.  So how to resolve this dilemma?  Well the answer is of course obvious. You make cakes for other people!!!

 I love the idea of the Gingerbread House, the Hansel and Gretel magical creation that makes eyes widen and little mouths begin to drool.  I really wanted to make a Gingerbread house for my girls this Christmas, but didn't want all that junk in the house and certainly didn't want them eating it all.  So I came up with a plan to make one and then send it in to school where it could be admired and shared by all the little classmates.  However I have TWO children in different classes, it could only mean one thing.....make TWO Gingerbread Houses!







There are quite a few recipes for Gingerbread on the Internet...here is the one that I used.  The template was a mish-mash of houses I liked.... I needed to make three batches of that gingerbread recipe to make my two houses.  I've only shown one at the moment as I'm experiencing technical difficulties uploading pics but you get the idea... perhaps when the bugs have been ironed out I'll put some of the other house up.





  
 
I used Royal Icing to glue it all together - I was surprised how well this worked actually - I only needed to support the one roof with a few tins of cat food!  I had visions of the whole thing collapsing and having to stand for hours holding bits together but that Royal Icing sticks!


  
   
And of course, we need sweets to decorate!  This was quite extravagant but I blame Pinterest!

So here I present to you Gingerbread House number one.... Welcome!


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So there you have it.  The girls loved it!  The kids at school loved it!  I loved making them so all in all a success!  Oh, I should mention that if you are going to make your own gingerbread house next Christmas, allow yourself at least four days to make it.  One day to make the cookie shapes, one to glue the house together (to allow for drying time) one to glue the roof and one to decorate.  If you are going to do this with the kiddos, then I'd only present them with the glued house and let them get on with it.  My girls were knocked down with the 'flu' when I made the houses, so showed little interest... perhaps next year they can have one of their own to decorate!
 
 
 
Happy New Year everyone!
 
xxx

 
 
 

Comments

  1. I still think you are mad, even if you are a month late getting them onto here. They are stunning though, absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Laura, looks absolutely amazing! How could anyone break that and eat it = )*Mush from Gent*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mush!
    Luckily I didn't get to see it broken into. I was told that they used a bread knife to cut into it as opposed to just bashing it in lol!
    xx
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c

I Channeled My Granny!

Yesterday the girls were off sick with a cold, and I can't say I was feeling 100% either.  My energy was low and when my eldest asked for soup for lunch, I admit, I did an internal sigh. I went to the cupboard and grabbed a couple of potatoes and an onion.. and that is when it happened.  That is when I began to channel my Italian Granny!  Seeing the potatoes and onions and thinking.. what else? What other something could I add to the soup to make it, well, soup. It was then I had a recollection from my childhood, a flash of an image, a forgotten smell, of a soup made up of the lowliest ingredients, that tasted so good, was warm and comforting and embodied everything a soup should be. My Granny's rice soup. By some twist of good fortune I had some left over rice in the fridge.  And as I searched through my memory the tantalising images came flooding back of Swiss Chard and perhaps, celery? So I set out to make it.. and as an afterthought, grabbed my camera to photog